Freitag, 13. Mai 2011

Curious Savage - Странная миссис Сэвидж

"Театр Дождей"- St. Petersburg

Thank you so much Артем for showing me a different - off-the-beaten-track St. Petersburg. From the stroll through the wonderful, magic semitary (I will go back to take pictures and find out the name again later) through the old, original streets of Vasilii Island to your theatre, where I was invited to watch you as Hannibal in this play. It really bugs me that I had not taken my camera to take a picture of the "monument of the invisible man" - that would have been funny!

Anyhow, I loved tha African Art Cafe - and enjoyed the friendly atmosphere there, then of course felt so priviledged that the theatre made an extra space in the booked-out audience to let me watch! I certainly was the only foreigner, and trust me even though it was in Russian and I only understood the odd word of phrase, I was totally taken in after a little while. What an exquisite performance. At first I have to admit that I was a bit apprehensive that I would not last for over two hours sitting on one buttock only, somehow keeping a balance to keep me from falling into the corridor, but after a few minutes I got so involved and entranced by the performance and the lovable characters that I totally forgot the precarious sitting arrangement.

I really can't compliment all of you enough for playing so intensively (how do you do it - the company playing the same repertoire for a whole season - yet never once getting out of character or losing focus? So if one cannot really understand (besides what you told me about the story before) not being bored for one moment really means you guys know how to do magic on scene.

Afterwards of course I was very happy to see most of the actors in the Art Cafe - and again felt very welcome and this must be exceptionable, as I have heard from other students here that this it is not always easy to be accepted. And lovely that you actually all sang for me
some traditional Russian songs!

Please thank everybody again from me - (can i adopt Mrs Savage!?)


 The funny thing was that after so many almost perfect sunny days, the very moment we arrived at the "Театр Дождей" (Rain Theatre), it started to rain - how did you manage that special effect? Then ass soon as we left to take one of the last Metros, it had cleared up again, and the Trinity Cathedral looked eerie and right out of a fairy tail with the moon behind in the near darkness.


And another compliment today goes to Mascha, my teacher, who realized that I had quite a late night last night and when my concentration got dodgy, she brought out the fun games and we had a good laugh.

Already one week of classes - time does fly. Making plans for the weekend. Vivi wants to visit the St. Petersburg prison - strange, strange woman, but what's new? - and since I am game for all things strange anyway  (it can hardly be a coincidence that my first ever play in Russian here was Странная миссис Сэвидж!) I will go with her - if she does all the necessary arrangements and we find a spot in hour busy schedules to visit it together. (Be warned though, Vivi: If we get in trouble and things get hot - I might have to sell you and leave you behind to buy my way out, sorry about that, but you being Italian I am sure you have some Mafia connections to figure a way of getting you out - and then you get to write a book about your experience in a Russian jail - I'll write a racy script and Hollywood here we come - right?)

Bart ( the study coordinator) came by today and it we had a nice chat. (And no, Bart! I did not want to show off my Dutch whilst speaking with Vivi on the phone - she really does speak Dutch as well, which you will have found out for yourself by now.)

No pics today am afraid, as I am a bit wary carrying my iPhone with me - as I never really know where I end up during a day.








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen